Hello Rooted Ladies,
Welcome to our latest study of “Restless” by Jennie Allen. We are discussing chapters 18, 19 and 20. So if you’ve made it this far in “Restless,” you know we are wading in the deep end — super deep end. We’ve left the shallow waters of finding our purpose in God’s will in chapter one.
Seriously though, each chapter has artfully shed light on on how we all fit together in God’s plan and how our unique experiences, passions and pains are all threads for our special purpose. And in this latest set of chapters, Allen talks about what’s holding us back from fulfilling our purpose especially when we have a glimpse of what it could be.
For me, this book has already made me take steps in the direction in which I’m being pulled. God is having things I need being miraculously provided and support given. God is good. I pray you are having experiences that put you closer to understanding all of your threads. Let’s jump in.
Part 2: The Threads (cont’d from last week)
Chapter 18: The Thread
1. Did you have reflective conversations with family and friends over your “threads”?
2. If so, What did you discover?
I just love this statement on page 160. It makes the logical side of my brain happy. “Unique design indicates unique purpose.” Thanks Allen.
Part 3: Living on Purpose
Chapter 19: Untangling a Dream
1. Did your threads look small, ordinary, or inadequate?
2. Did you see at least a hint of a dream?
3. And are you shrinking back? If so, why?
Chapter 20: Shrinking Back
1. In what ways are you “shrinking back”? Physically? Emotionally? Spiritually? Relationally?
2. Do you think of “shrinking back” as fighting the devil?
3. Are you fighting fear? Uncertainty? Distractions? Insecurity? Comparison? Or all of them?
I love what Allen writes on page 182.
“He is in the trenches with us. In the fear. He is in the unknown — knowing and leading and working. What we don’t know yet is meant to lead us to dependence.”
It’s so comforting. That is our God, the Comforter.
I know this journey has been arduous and at times painful. God sees our striving to be close to Him and pursue our special place in his Plan. This work is so worth it. Each step we take we are one step closer. And I know we will find fulfillment in His plan. He made us especially for it.
Please share your “Restless” journey. The good. The bad. The ugly. It is all being made beautiful by God.
Wishing you discernment and freedom from fear this week,
Hope (aka Brooke)