Hello Rooted Ladies,
Welcome to Week 8 where we are discussing chapters 17 and 18 of “Anything.” We can’t believe that we’re coming to the end of this life-changing book. We hope you have enjoyed this book as much as we have. How’s your Anything prayer coming?
chapter 17: war on: fighting brave
War. Fighting. Those are not words that anyone would ever use to describe me. I am not a fighter. However, as I get older and especially going through this book, I am beginning to understand that, in Christ, I am a fighter. God has called me to fight for some things and to fight through some things. My biggest obstacle to fighting is doubt. I suspect that that is the biggest obstacle for most people. We doubt that God is trustworthy, that He is real, or that we heard Him correctly. My prayer is that His faithfulness would erase every doubt and that we would push past the doubts to step into the victory that awaits us on the other side of the fight.
1. In what areas do you tend to doubt God?
2. As you grow in surrender to God, share areas where you have experienced increased spiritual attack?
3. How does adjusting your expectations to the reality that life is supposed to be hard allow you to more fully experience God’s joy. (p. 157) Where do you need to do some adjusting?
4. How can we be more intentional about supporting each other in the battle?
chapter 18: backward: where freedom hides
On page 163 Allen wrote, “Freedom and healing hide in the backward way God tells us to find life.” That is SO true! When we follow the way of the world, all we find is pain and captivity. That is what the enemy wants. He wants us to get consumed in our own agendas and the opinions of others. God desires for us to live a humble, generous, selfless, obedient and faith-filled life. That is when He can fulfill His purpose in us and His purpose through us for a lost and broken world.
1. Read Matthew 16:25.
For whoever wants to save their life[a] will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it. Matthew 16:25 (NIV).
In your own words, how does God tell us to find our life? Share an experience where you found freedom in this way.
2. What are some of the unique ways that you have been equipped to be the evidence of God in the world (p. 164)?
3. Share a way that you have seen godliness formed in your life through the mundane of everyday (p. 165)?
4. What agenda and maybe even “Christian agenda” do you need to set aside in order to follow the person of Christ?
5. Share an area of your life where you need to stop letting other things define you and start letting God define you. (169)
6. Read James 2:14-17. [Faith & Deeds]
What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save them? Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead. James 2:14-17 (NIV)
Do you talk more about God than you obey Him? In what area of your life does faith and words need to become action and deeds?
Love in Christ,
Karina & Hope