welcome mat

{Five Minute Friday} Welcome

welcome mat

[Today I’m joining the wonderful LisaJo of thegypsymama and a beautiful community of bloggers for the 5 minute Friday writing prompt. Today the word is WELCOME.]

So week after week, I go searching and longing for a church home where I feel welcome.” And I think “welcome” has several meanings. First, and perhaps most importantly, my spirit must feel welcome or at home. For me, it requires that the sermon or the pastor’s message resonate with me. I want the words to dig in deep – to set up a place inside of me that requires me to think, meditate, and pause. I want the sermon’s words to challenge me and take my faith to the next place – God’s place.

And secondly, my ears must feel welcome. Yes, this sounds silly, but I believe that my soul will be stirred and welcome where the music moves my heart and spirit. You know how you listen to a song and it sticks with you all week.

And finally, in my search for a church home, I want to feel welcomed by the church {God’s people}. I’ve discovered the difference between “nice” and “friendly” in the recent weeks. I’ve visited several churches where the people were nice – meaning pleasant, said hello, well-meaning, but carried on about their business.

It wasn’t until I visited a friendly church where I felt the difference. I felt like they were waiting for me. Like they somehow rolled out a warm welcome mat. I was met with hugs and questions about myself and what I liked to do. They really tried to get to know me. They even wanted to spend more time with me – little old me. I felt the beginnings of friendship.

God is welcoming. God is friendship – the ultimate friendship and when you find him… He digs in deep into your soul.

wishing you hope, joy, peace, and lots of welcoming experiences,

Hope

Five Minute Friday

Advertisements

10 thoughts on “{Five Minute Friday} Welcome

• hopejoypeace says:

Hi Becky, Thank you for stopping by and sharing. I couldn’t agree with you more. I think I have found that place or places. And I’ve been amazed by the wonderful places I’ve attended. I’ve been visiting and re-visiting many. I’ve just noticed the difference recently. blessings to you.

1. Sheila says:

We are so blessed to have a choice of where to worship. I’m happy you were able to find the right place for you…. to be ministered to and to serve. – Stopped in from Five Minute Friday 🙂

• hopejoypeace says:

WOW Sheila, you are so right. I am super blessed to have a choice. I hadn’t thought about the reality that there are locations with few or no places or where people are persecuted for their beliefs. Thank you so much for stopping by and sharing with me.

2. closefamilies says:

I completely relate to your experience and thoughts and longings for a church home. Since we moved to the country from the city, my husband and I have only visited one church, and althought I felt very welcomed, my husband has a fear of crowds, and he tends to shy away from close groups. So we struggle to find a balance where I feel welcome, but he feels comfortable. Happy Friday to you, and good luck with finding a church family. 🙂

• hopejoypeace says:

Hi there! Thank you so much for commenting. I’d loved reading about your experience. I pray that you find a church home that meets both of your needs, and that you enjoy the journey of looking. Have a wonderful weekend.

3. Birdie Cutair says:

When I visited Italy briefly I was suddenly aware that we in America have a choice, lots of choices, of where we can worship. In Italy, they do not. So I came home with a new appreciation of all the different flavors and denominations of Christian churches available to us.

4. Julie says:

It is really refreshing to know that there are other people out there struggling in the area of church. I have been out for a while, and although I know the benefit of being with like-minded believers (thank God for friends and family that fit that bill), I really don’t miss the “organized” part of church. I do, however, miss that feeling when corporately you have worshiped with others and you know God is so very present! Still waiting on His leading in this area. Thanks so much for sharing!