Sunroom - Office Door

Meeting God in the Secret Place

Sunroom - Door to my prayer place

Sunroom – Door to my prayer place

“But you, when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly.” Matthew 6:6 [NKJV]

This morning I awoke to Oswald Chambers thoughts on Prayer Choice and Prayer Conflict in his daily devotional entitled “My Utmost for His Highest.” [If you are not reading this blessed text, you should be. You can even read it free online.]

When I saw the title I immediately thought, I don’t have a prayer conflict. I love to pray. I do however need to get serious with my time committed to God each morning.

I’ve noticed that if I don’t stick to reading the Word first thing in the morning or allowing extra time in the morning to do so, the day just gets away. And I usually get around to reading the bible later in the day… but it’s risky.

Life always has a way of getting in the way. Emails. Phone calls. Or in my case last week, freak accidents and emergencies.

All of these “life reasons” make it even more critical to put God first. And for me, that means meeting with God in the secret place, first thing in the morning. And I believe meeting God first allows Him to order our day.

Chambers writes:

Get into the habit of dealing with God about everything. Unless in the first waking moment of the day you learn to fling the door wide back and let God in, you will work on a wrong level all day; but swing the door wide open and pray to your Father in secret, and every public thing will be stamped with the presence of God.

Amen. I don’t know about you all but I need God’s stamp on everything in my life. I need his stamp on my thoughts, words, and actions. I need God’s presence in my family, in my relationships, and even in my neighborhood.

Dave Lomas, the pastor of Reality SF, the church I’ve been attending recently, asked the congregation in his message “We are Theological”: “Are you individually allowing the ultimate reality of Jesus to shape your daily reality?” And he said we must be radically centered on God.

Being centered on God means meeting Him in secret prayer, private prayer. It means being disciplined, controlling our thoughts and emotions, and not allowing our minds to wander during this special time.

We focus our hearts and minds on God – so we hear Him.

Chambers writes:

When we live in the secret place it becomes impossible for us to doubt God, we become more sure of Him than of anything else.

I’m seeking to live in the secret place where my faith is so strong and unwavering that I never doubt God. With steadfast faith, God will become the center of our lives.

Then, we become a people centered around Jesus, and live lives centered on Jesus. God is ordering our day. With God, we will have renewed strength to meet all of life’s challenges.

Those who wait for the Lord [who expect, look for, and hope in Him] shall change and renew their strength and power; they shall lift their wings and mount up [close to God] as eagles [mount up to the sun]; they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint or become tired. Isaiah 40:31 [AMP]

Will you join me in the morning and meet with God in the secret place? Do you have any advice for keeping this morning appointment? I’d love to hear your thoughts and comments.

Wishing you hope, peace, and joy,

-Hope

[I’m linking up with the following soul affirming communities. Please take a moment to check out their wonderful blogs.]

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Advertisements

8 thoughts on “Meeting God in the Secret Place

1. pbus1 says:

I hope you enjoy this video. When I heard it on a friend’s blog, it touched me.

I have posted, and read other blog postings on this topic, recently. God is so gracious and kind unto us, that He would desire an audience with us. When we touch Him, He touches us with His mighty power! In His presence is fulness of joy! 🙂 God bless you!

Paulette

2. Planting Potatoes says:

Amen! What I do is wake up earlier, when it is quiet and no one is likely to distract me….I is the first thing in my morning and the last thing at night……and everything in between is his……I like this song too!

• hopejoypeace says:

I love that you are beginning and ending the day with God! I’m working on doing that too. I’m finding that reading devotionals also help. And once I start working, I am definitely going to get up earlier. Thank you for stopping by and commenting. Blessings to you!

3. beingwovenzephaniah317 says:

Thank you, Hope, for such a timely reminder, an assurance of God’s promises. He does meet us and does orchestrate our moments all day and night, should we allow Him. I am glad I came by as I needed this today.
    Plus, I want to walk through your door. It is most inviting! : )
    Caring through Christ, ~ linda @ Being Woven

4. Susan Michaels says:

wonderful to be strengthened early in the day in the Lord! Thank you for this reminder, Hope, and for the blog recommendations! 🙂